While we make every effort to check our list carefully, neither VSPN nor VIN are responsible for the content or functionality of websites listed below.
If there should be an issue with a site or a site's content, please contact the owner of the site.
All sites will open in a new window.
To return to this list of websites, close the new window.
To suggest a site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AAV Annual - Conference & Expo
- Association of Avian Veterinarians
- Avian Health Management
Health information from the Electronic Data Information Source (EDIS) at the University of Florida.
- Avian Necropsy Technique
The University of Florida's Institute Of Food And Agricultural Sciences Extension Service's step by step guide for avian necropsy - including necropsy technique and sample submission.
- Avian Nutritional Information
Nutritional and Dietary Considerations for companion and aviary birds from the Zoo Nutrition Advisory Group (NAG), Victoria, Australia.
Avian and Exotics from SPJC (St. Petersburg Junior College) Veterinary Technology.
- Bird Doctor
- Bird Health & Care Tips
Information on toxicity in birds, anatomy illustrations, Macaw weights and measures chart, the Macaw ER, etc
- Budgerigar Brain Atlas
This atlas of the budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus) brain was prepared from 49 transverse sections 25 micrometers apart, ranging from 6.00 mm anterior to 6.00 mm posterior to the interaural line.
- Clinical Pathology Of Exotic Animals
This University of Pennsylvania website includes reference ranges for birds (passerines and psittacines), rodents, rabbits, and ferrets; case-simulations; and information on venipuncture, maximum blood volume collection, and sample submission.
- Cockatiel Color Mutations
Site contains articles on color mutations in cockatiels. Note: Site is full of advertisements and non-stop music.
- Common Poultry Diseases
Commonly encountered poultry diseases. Information provided by Cooperative Extension Department, Mississippi State University.
- Exotic Newcastle Disease
Exotic Newcastle Disease is a contagious and fatal viral disease affecting all species of birds. It is one of the most infectious diseases of poultry in the world. The California Animal and Food Safety Services has provided recent information and fact sheets.
- Gillian's Help Desk
Gillian Willis is a pharmacist and toxicologist. She is considered an 'expert' in matters of poisoning and toxic substances by those of us who participate in bird related mailing lists on the Internet
- Infectious Disease In Food Animals
Proceedings of the USDA's National Animal Disease Center virtual conference on infectious diseases of food animals. Topics include respiratory disease, TSE, mycobacterium, salmonella, e. coli Infections, and spirochete diseases.
- Macaw Weights and Measures
From Those Majestic Macaws!
- National Avian Influenza Surveillance Information
This newly developed database and Web application called HEDDS (HPAI Early Detection Data System) shares information on sample collection sites, bird species sampled, and test results.
- Poultry Diseases
University of Nebraska - NU Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Proceedings of International Virtual Conferences in Veterinary Medicine: (IVCVM 1998) Diseases of Psittacine Birds
- Psittacine Blood Collection and Hematology
Basics for the veterinary practitioner. Presented by the Department of Medical Microbiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA.
- Radiographic Anatomy Of Exotic Pets
Website developed by Dr. Karen Rosenthal and David Bessler, University of Pennsylvania CVM, includes normal radiographic anatomy of six exotic species, along with six case reports. The Summon Guru button and the Bird Head button are navigation aids.
- Raptor Species Identification And Photo Gallery
This site is hosted by the Canadian Peregrine Foundation.
- The Gabriel Foundation
The Gabriel Foundation is an avicultural and veterinary affiliated parrot welfare organization that promotes educational outreach, conservation, rescue, rehabilitation, adoption, and sanctuary pertaining to the needs of parrots everywhere.
- Adopting an older parrot
- African Grey Parrots - Grey Play Round Table
- African Parrot Society
- American Birding Association
- American Dove Association
- American Ostrich Association
- Are you a bird addict?
- Ask an Audubon Expert (Bird Questions)
- Association of Field Ornithologists
- Avian Embryo
A Mississippi State University publication intended to assist in the study of the formation of the egg and the avian embryo. Incubation procedures show you the effects of heat, moisture, and ventilation upon the development of the chick embryo.
- Bird Behavior and Training
- Bird Song Research
- Bird Studies Canada
- Birder's Dictionary
- Birding Clubs and Associations
- Birding on the Net
- Birdnet, The Ornithological Information Source
- Birds - Enchanted Learning Software
- Birds n Ways
Guide to Parrots & Exotic Birds
- Birds, Sleep, and Learning
- Blue Macaws
- Cage Territoriality
- California Raptor Center
- Cape Parrots
- Chicken Breeds
- Chicken Housing Facts
- Chickens in the Garden
- Cockatiel Genetic Calculator
If you breed different cockatiel mutations, what is the likely distribution of the cockatiel chicks when they emerge from the nestbox?
- Cockatiel Genetics
- Companion Parrot Quarterly
Information on Parrots and their Caregivers
- Diamond Doves
- Duck Healthcare
Disease prevention and treatment are discussed. Published by Tirath S. Sandhu, DVM, Ph.D. as part of the International Duck Research Cooperative, Inc.
- Eclectus Parrots: LandofVos:
- Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases
The USGS-National Wildlife Center has completed an updated Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases: General Field Procedures and Diseases of Birds. The manual is available in .PDF format. You may download the entire manual or specific sections.
- Genetic Calculator
(Free Service) A Genetic Calculator for parrot mutations. Calculates all the possible genetic outcomes for any combination of breeding pair. Shows the probabilities for each outcome. Takes into account Recombinant Frequencies for: X chromosome loci (sl, cin, ino, op - 7%, 3%, 30%) and blue and dark loci (14%).
- Great Outdoor Recreation Pages - Birding
- Great Western Budgerigar Society
- Housing Doves
- Index of Birds
A chart illustrating the usual diet for birds in the wild, and the suggested diets for those same species in captivity.
- International Canary Society
- International Parrotlet Society
- Jardine Parrots
- Ken's Canary Page
- Lexicon of Parrots
- Me & My Budgie
- Midwest Avian Research Expo
- Mini Macaws
- Model Aviculture Program's (MAP)
The Model Aviculture Program (MAP) is a national voluntary program for the certification of aviculturists through inspection by avian veterinarians. MAP is designed to improve the care and breeding of exotic birds.
- National Audubon Society
- National Bird Feeding Society
- National Cockatiel Society
- National Finch and Softbill Society
- NetVet - Birds
- North American Cockatiel Society
- Once Bitten, Twice Shy
- Parrot Care and Prevention Guides
- Parrot Finches
- Parrot Pages
Provides information and a home for avian products, services, breeders, clubs, and organizations
- Parrot Preservation Society
Parrots, a vast group of colorful, intelligent companions that we share our world with. Macaws are our specialty, with Amazons, Cockatoos and Conures rounding out the menagerie of our South American birds.
- Parrot Society of Australia
- Parrot Talk
- Peregrine Fund
- Pet Bird care information
'Up At Six' has a mission to provide its readers with the ultimate avian page on the Internet. A place where those involved in aviculture can come together to communicate and learn from one another.
- Pet Bird FAQ's
- Pigeon Breeds
- Pigeons and Doves
- Poultry Science
A brief discussion on common viral diseases in poultry from Mississippi State University.
- Protect Your Bird from Poisons and Toxins
- Quaker Parrots
- Raising Chickens
- Raptor Research Foundation
- Red Faced Parrot Finch Article
- Safe Plants for Birds
- The Amazona Society
- The Aviary, Birding
- The Aviary- Companion Birds
- The Complete Lexicon of Parrots
- The Dove Page
- The Home Flock Guide
- The Oklahoma State Ostrich Book
Everything you ever wanted to know about ratite ranching; from anatomy of the ostrich to correcting rolled toes and more…
- The Ornithology Website
- The Raptor Center
The Raptor Center at the University of Minnesota is an international medical facility for birds of prey.
- The Waterbird Society
- Those Majestic Macaws
- Understanding your bird's body language
- Welcome to the American Cockatiel Society
The American Cockatiel Society Inc., America's original cockatiel society.
- What Songbirds Dream About
- Why a second hand bird?
- Why Birds Bite
- Wilson Ornithological Society
- Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Selecting a New Macaw
- World Parrot Trust
The World Parrot Trust is an international wildlife charity dedicated to saving parrots worldwide.
- Yahoo - Raptors
A starting place to find links to other raptor sites
- Zebra Finch Mutations, Part I
- Zebra Finch Mutations, Part II
- Zebra Finches
A Friendly Reminder: You are ultimately responsible for the care of your patients. Recommendations and discussions of cases should be considered as recommendations by colleagues for you to consider in your case management decisions. Dosages should be confirmed prior to dispensing medications.